Susie slept in our bed last night - I held her hand as she drifted off to sleep.
She got up ~midnight and I helped her to the bathroom - again, no progress was made.
Her balance is really getting bad these days. she's leaning back and you have to hold her hands and pull forward really hard to keep her from falling backwards (but she says she doesn't need the help).
This morning, She was trying to get up, but she didn't have the strength to pull herself up (even with the bedrails in place). I was hoping that she would finally ask for help, but she never did. :( I finally asked her if I could help her and she no, that she didn't need help. I waited a bit and watched her struggle and asked again. Now she's mad - NO I DON'T NEED ANY HELP. It's quite clear that she's not making any progress. :( Now, she's trying to go over the bedrails (and would hurt herself), so I get up and offer a hand. She refuses it over and over and is still making no progress. Finally, she takes it and I help her stand.. well.. barely...
I always try to see if she can walk before offering the wheelchair, but her balance was the same as last night - leaning waaaaay back and unable to make any forward progress with her feet. So, we move to the chair and I see what the issue is - the sheets need to be changed. This is likely the reason why she didn't want help. :( my poor Susie
Luckily, Bob was up and we tag-teamed through the Susie/Bed changing quickly and got her back in bed where she fell asleep quite quickly.
We are unsure how the hospital bed is going to work - it will be much much easier for her to attempt to get out of bed than our normal bed.
How frustrating this must all be for her...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gavin and I had a nice visit in the evening. I finally got to talk with Sally...hadn't seen her in a while. She showed me pictures of their house and pool and doggie, and the carousel horse that she painted =)
Susie woke up while we were there and we had a good chat with her. She was quite coherent during our stay, and I was glad i could make her giggle a few times. I'm gonna miss her obscure comedy references =( Toby sat on the bed with us and kept rolling over wanting belly-scratchins. He seems to have an idea that he's needed right now.
We'll be back on saturday. Hang in there guys. We love you.
Jonah, it sounds like you are working so hard to help Susie. Susie has always been a very independent person and I bet it must be very difficult for her to accept help of any kind from anyone. She can be so determined! You are amazing for being so patient and sensitive to her needs. It must be incredibly difficult at times but I admire your resilience. I love you guys. Take care.
Jonah, you must be completely exhausted. Your love for Susie is so strong, it must hurt a lot when she gets mad at you and balks at any assistance. Hang in there, we're thinking of you and loving you both.
Sarah & Billy & Sadie
Post a Comment