Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday, June1st

6:00 a.m.

Wham! ... (Jonah wakes up)

What was that? Susie just hit the floor. She's ok, but needed help to stand up again. She fell between the bathroom and the bed - right next to the blanket chest that she made. It sounded like he hit the chest in some way. She was breathing really rapidly and with quite shallow breaths when I got her back to the bed. She also felt really warm (almost feverish). She wanted to get up to do something, but I made her just rest there for a while first. Her head was hurting, so I gave her some pain meds and an ice pack for her head.

I asked her what happened and she said she was trying to avoid the "scuffle in the kitchen" and was trying to keep Toby from eating the rest of Owen's food - or something like that.

It turned out that she had gotten up and got herself some ice cream and was probably coming back to bed when she fell.

I kept asking her if she hurt anywhere specific, but she said no - we will likely see a big bruise in a day or so.

I laid with her in bed, hoping that the pain would recede.
She was halfway dreaming and telling me a story about Toby. I kept asking simple questions and she just kept talking - slurring a bit and sometimes impossible to understand. It was really cute.


12:00 p.m.
She slept really late today (still sleeping) - we are unsure if she's got a major headache yet. She says she's not sure. She will know more after she gets up. (feels like an arrow through the forehead now)


Random Quotes:
"It's like trying to make out with a Tasmanian Devil..."

"Crip-Stick" (Cripple stick, as Susie says). Trekking poles that help her walk.


So... if you haven't figured it out yet, Susie is going downhill quite rapidly.
Yes, some days are better than others, and even some hours are different than others, but looking back at the last month, it's quite clear that this is moving quickly.
If you have anything that you would like to say to her, I would strongly suggest that you not wait for the right moment.
As the headaches get worse and worse, we will have to give her more and more medication which makes her all loopy.

3:00 p.m. - STILL sleeping - wow. Head feels ok which is good, but wow!

7:00 p.m. WOW - She just got up. took a shower! seems to feel pretty good! Yay!

Unfortunately, her energy only lasted a short time. Right after she took a shower, we started to watch TV, but she quickly started falling asleep again. sometimes while holding her soda (and spilling it on her shirt). I fed her some dinner, but she didn't eat very much. She was mumbling and not making any sense - both in articulation and in meaning. Kelley, Conrad and Kelley's sister stopped by for a bit, but Susie quickly needed to lie down again. I could hear her over the baby monitor mumbling away - but nobody was in the room with her. I came in later and helped her get up to go to the bathroom - no muscle strength at all in the legs and no cognitive ability either. It took a long time and she was breathing really hard with short breaths. She was trying hard to balance, but could not.

She's been reluctantly accepting rides in the wheelchair and she hates it when other people see, but it is soooo much safer for her to be in the chair and not walking around at all. Easier said than done, however.

Fell back asleep at about 10 or so.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Rough morning. :< I am glad Suzie's head was feeling okay in the evening. It's good she can get some relief. Seems like she gets up a lot during the night. I wonder if it is possible to rig up like runway lighting? Help her get in and out of the room easier? Maybe you already have that. Hang in there J.

Anonymous said...

When did Susie make out with Taz?!! And she told me that there was nothing between them. Hmph. I'll have to have a little chat with her about that when I see her on Tuesday.

Jonah, I'm sorry things are so hard. It's a honor being your friends and seeing how lovely two people can be together.

Elise said...

Some funnies from my visit last week: I brought in some Subway sandwiches for lunch for Bob and Susie. During our lunch I asked Susie if she prefers Togo's or Subway. She said Togo's and had she known I was bringing Subway, she wouldn't have let me in the door. Also later when Olivia had the hick-ups, Bob told Susie to say something scary to her - without hesitation Susie said: "Olivia - you won't be able to afford your college education". :D

KelleyK said...

My favorite funny is when she said Jonah's favorite song is "It's Raining Men" Hah! She was laughing too...

Unknown said...

Ok, so when are you going to get that string to tie your toe and Susie's toe together?! :)