Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday, June 6th

Susie was finally snoring peacefully @11, so I fall asleep.

12:00 wakes up to go to the bathroom, but produces nothing
12:30 gets up and wants to feed the animals
1:00 gets up and is 1/2 way out of bed, but doesn't know what she wants
1:30 gets up and needs something to eat
2:00 gets up and wants to replace her ice pack

Finally we get to sleep and we both sleep until 8:00 a.m when she wakes up with a killer headache :(

I drive to work in a daze and hope to get rid of my headache, too

Gwenn came over to work from our house to help Bob. I came home ~1:00 and met with the hospice nurse.
I described the "episodes" that she has been having and she said that they weren't seizures, so that is good.

We ordered a pain patch so we won't have to worry about keeping up the dosages when we are both finally sleeping ;)

Gwenn made cookies and she had cookies in bed :) Yummmeeee!

Then we rolled out to the living room and Jana and Jon showed up for a visit.
After a short talk, Susie wanted to go outside, so we wheeled her down the ramp and into the backyard.
She showed Jana and Jon her carvings and showed them how it was done.

She started to get tired, so we brought her back in, but on the way back in, she starting slumping to the side and eventually she slid right off the chair! We gently laid her to the foor and let her rest. We said a goodbye to Jana and Jon as they were headed out anyway. She was staring straight ahead and breathing heavily again. We decided to cover her up and put a pillow under her head to wait for her to wake up again. After 5 minutes or so, it turned into snoring and she was at peace. A few minutes later, she woke up and we got her to her feet and then back into bed.

man these things come on fast and there is no stopping them. It's hard to know what to do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs, Jonah.

Anonymous said...

Jonah -

Your love for your wife is so evident in your attentive caregiving. I hope you get some rest and feel better.

roma said...

I am so glad you're there for her Jonah-
We all go thru our lives without much though for who will be around us when it's our time. I hope that I have someone like you around me when it's my time...

Tc99m said...

Jonah,

Dave called me last night and gave me your blog address. It seems like just yesterday when we were all poor young starving students in Boston. At a moments notice we could pick up and go climbing in New Hampshire, or camping and hiking in Maine. Not a care in the world... we were invincible and would live forever.

Almost 20 years have passed since those days of our youth. Some of my fondest memories are of time spent with you and I feel ashamed that I have let such a great friendship grow cold with time and distance. We all get wrapped up in what we are doing in the here and now. Lisa and I loved it when you and Susie came to Arizona to play hockey. I especially liked it when Lisa picked up a stone from the hiking trail and brought it to Susie (expecting her to identify it as Quartz or Bassalt or some other mineral element) and Susie told her it was just a rock.

In times of great saddness it is often the memories of great happiness that shine thru the dark clouds. You and Suzie are the source of much great happiness in many peoples lives, including ours.

I want you to know that we are praying for you and Suzie.

Please let us know if there is anything you need.

- Steave

hkygrrl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hkygrrl said...

Jonah,
I had a dream last night. Susie and I were riding in a car together. We didn't talk. Not a word was said between us. We didn't have to talk. It was enough that we were enjoying our time together. We were enjoying the shared journey. I remember feeling content and at peace during this dream. It was as if Susie was sitting right there next to me. I felt so very sad when I awoke, as I remembered what you and Susie are going through in California. I tend not to believe in psychic phenomena. But I want to believe that even though Susie's body is failing and we are so far apart, she was still able to share her warmth and love with me. I love you both so much--your friendship, support and fantastic senses of humor have been gifts for which I can never express adequate appreciation. Thank you for being such great friends and sharing your lives with me...Please tell Susie that I love her and miss her very much...and I'll be saving shotgun for her in my dreams.